Is your site mobile-friendly?
Google announced that the mobile-friendly update will boost the ranking of mobile-friendly pages. The rank of websites will be boost, if your website has mobile-friendly webpages, pages that are legible and usable on mobile device. If your website is not mobile friendly, means if your website is designed only for large screens may see a significant decrease in ranking in mobile search result. If you want to boost the rank of your website you have to make your website mobile-friendly. So how to make your website mobile-friendly before this let’s talk about what is mobile-friendly websites?
What is mobile-friendly websites?
A mobile-friendly website has responsive design. A website that display correctly on different size of devices such as smartphones, iPhones, iPad and tablets are known as mobile-friendly website.
A mobile-friendly website has these features.
- Easy to read
- Easy to navigate
- Load fast
- Minimal Scrolling
- Avoid using flash
- Optimize Images
Why this is important for all websites?
- It is important because mobile screens are a lot different from computer screens, the website design has to change according to the screen size.
- It is important because popularity of mobile internet is increasing. Smartphone have become affordable over the past few year, these devices are excellent for hand-held browsing. Since the sales of smartphones is increased, it only make sense for companies to have a site that can be easily browsed through on these devices.
- It is important because it is competition, people love to browse while travelling. However, when they find that sites they normally used at their desktop are not compatible with mobile, they might switch to a site which provide a similar services and is compatible with mobile as well.
- It is important because having a mobile friendly website also helps in SEO. It will help to improve rankings on mobile friendly search engine such as Google or Yahoo.
What will happen, if your website will not be mobile-friendly?
- Google will punish you if your website will not be mobile-friendly. Google is trying to put mobile user first. If your website will not be mobile-friendly, you may see a drop in your ranking if you are not complaint with their mobile optimization guidelines.
- Google makes an announcement that your website should be mobile-friendly. Most website use responsive design but they are dealing with slow load times, this will impact negatively on ranking.
- If your website will not be mobile-friendly it will impact your business, user will find another website that is similar to your website and they will access them.
Will it effect on SEO of your website?
- Google announce algorithm updates that will have a “significant impact” on mobile search result worldwide.
- The update improves ranking for sites that provides a mobile-friendly experience to searchers on mobile devices.
- This update has no effect on searches form tablets and desktop.
- It effect searches from mobile devices across all language and locations.
- It is page level ranking boost. If ten of your website’s pages are mobile friendly, but rest of your website’s pages are not mobile friendly, only the ten mobile-friendly pages can be positively impacted.
How to make your website mobile-friendly?
- If you want to make a mobile- friendly website, your website should have responsive design. Your website should display correctly on different size of devices such as smartphones, iPhones, iPad, tablets and desktop.
- There should not be horizontal scroll bar.
- Font size and button size of a website matter a lot for mobile device. User don’t need to zoom in to read text or to click on a button.
- Once you created your responsive website, test it, test it on iPhone, iPad, Android, Window phone and different tablets. Test every webpage, user action, while you are testing, it is always important to put yourself in the position of the user.
- Use high-resolution images. High resolution images are extremely important on your responsive website to ensure your user’s experience is of a high standard.
- Always include a viewport Meta tag. The viewport is a virtual area used by the browser rendering engine to determine how content is scaled and sized. Without it your website will not work well on a mobile device.
- Avoid using flash because iPhone don’t support it.
- Website should load fast its speed should be fast, because user don’t wait too much for loading a webpage.